Already 600 years after Christ were variations on the Bouillabaisse
[bu.ja.bɛːs], known in ancient Greece among coastal fishermen. The soup has since been refined and changed in countless variations. The Bouillabaisse we know today originated as food for the poor fishermen in Marseilles. Fish that could not be sold, usually rare, small and less appetizing, cooked with olive oil for a tasty and hearty fish stew. This avatar with a strong mayonnaise and French bread to dip into the pot.
The name "Bouillabaisse" has its origin in the methodology used to make the soup. The ingredients added to the soup all at once, but only boiled fish broth of fish bones (boil) then to put one fish type of fish variety and boiled the broth for each fish variety that was added. Then cut the heat (abaisser) the soup.
More and more people got a taste of this delicious fish soup and soon served Bouillabaisse in all forms from simple street stalls to luxurious restaurants in Marseille. The quality, however, was very different and guests expectations were met not always.
It was added to an expert group of fishermen, restaurateurs and food writers to once and for all determine how a true Bouillabaisse "la vrai Bouillabaisse" would taste and what ingredients would be included. It was concluded the following ingredients to be included in an authentic Marseille Bouillabaisse:
At least four, preferably more kinds, absolutely fresh fish to be included. Most importantly, "Racasse", a peculiar local fish. Without it, it becomes an ordinary fish soup is argued in Marseille.
WEEVER, Knorr Male and Whiting hear the original recipe to, fish with us not underestimated particularly high. Monkfish, Havsål, Squid and Sole is clearly recognized fish types. Shellfish such as crabs, languster, clams, crayfish and lobsters are obvious. The soup is also potatoes, olive oil, garlic, saffran, fennel, parsley, tomatoes, pepper and salt to be.
Accessories for the soup are small pieces of bread or slices of baguette, roasted in olive oil and garlic, och rust. Rouille is a garlic mayonnaise, aioli, Now flavored with saffron and love fresh pepper, which can be replaced with cayenne pepper or Tabasco.
As stated, this will be an editing stew and it's no use to cook bouillabaisse for two people - at least ten hungry guests, it should be. The restaurants served mostly mish with the strong steaming hot broth in a bowl and the cooked fish and shellfish on another plate or dish next.
Marseille residents argue that the real bouillabaisse can not be repaired elsewhere than at mean sea, yet there how many variations whatsoever. In Paris, called a fish soup made of Atlantic fish for Bouillabaisse, fish soup in only freshwater fish "Bouillabaisse aux poisson d'eau douce" is not ashamed of himself.
"Bouillabaisse Borgne" served with a poached egg in each plate is common. There is also a vegetarian version "Bouillabaisse d'Epinard" ??? – but there is surely limit.
Let's tackle the soup!
We are making a statement that is enough for our ten hungry guests and to the need to 4 kilos of fresh fish. At least four different varieties of which at least one kind of seafood, remember that different fish have different consistencies and taking a long time to cook. Fish you can use the finished soup is eg.
Fixed fish: sole, turbot, pike, perch
Tender fish: halibut, Eel, kummel, codling, whiting
Extra good: weevers, gurnard, Monkfish, conger, octopus
Seafood: hummer, langoustines, crab, clams
- 2½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2½ cup finely shredded leeks
- 1 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 500 g ripe tomatoes
- 2½ liter water
- 5 cup dry white wine
- 8 sprigs of parsley
- 2 pinch of basil or fresh leaves
- 1 pinch of fennel
- 1 laurel
- ½ g saffron
- ¼ orange peel
- 1 msk salt
- 1 pinch of white pepper
- fish bones and heads of cleansing about 2 kg
- 12 slices of white bread (square shape bread)
- Olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 boiled (the soppan) potato
- ½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper, lightly boiled
- 1 tsk basilica
- In nipa cayennepeppar
- ½ cup olive oil, virgin
- Salt & pepper
What to do:
- Let the finely chopped onion and leeks gently sweat in oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Crush the garlic cloves with the back of a knife blade, coarsely chop the tomatoes and put everything in the pan and cook the onion for another 5 minutes.
- Pour in water and wine, add all the spices and fish bones. Ben, head and crustacean shells to be used without the fish skins, fins and jalar. Cook over low heat about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain the broth through muslin or fine mesh colander. Taste and season more if desired, such as salt or saffron.
- The broth should now be ready spiced and about 2 ½ liters.
- It is now time to set up the various fish varieties. If you have fresh lobster to cook it in the finished broth by boiling the broth and add the lobster, boil with the lid about 8-10 minutes. Add the fish with firm flesh, coca ca 5 minutes, Add the rest of the seafood, boil quickly and boil about 5 minutes, lobsters just need 3 minutes.
- Carefully remove all fish and shellfish, and add up to a large serving dish, sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Serve the soup hot in soup plates and serve garlic bread and rouille to.
- Garlic croutons:
- Toast the small triangles of white bread 165 degree oven heat about 30 minutes. (one loaf divided diagonally into four triangles)
- After half time, the brushed with olive oil and when ready, the rub with peeled garlic cloves.
Add garlic, paprika, potatoes and spices in a mortar or blender. Shock or mix everything into a chewy pasta.
Stir in the oil, little by little, season with salt and pepper, add 3 tablespoons of the soup just before the sauce to be eaten.
Bon appetite !!
Written by “bernit”. 17:e januari 2009, 14:43